While there’s no guarantee that your temporary job will become full time, you can increase the likelihood of that happening if you position yourself as an invaluable asset to your employer. In many cases, companies have been known to actually create permanent positions so they could keep their temporary workers, based on the positive impact they made.
Here’s how to shine as a temp and enhance your chances of becoming a full-time, permanent part of the team:
Perform with Excellence
Working as a temp gives you the opportunity to be on the inside at a company, which ultimately is an advantage over external candidates.
- Be 100 percent reliable. Show up on time and stay late. Maintain a flawless attendance record. Be ready and willing to help whenever and wherever needed.
- Have the right mindset. Treat your temp job like it was permanent. Show flexibility, dedication and a willingness to go the extra mile. Before leaving for the day, check in with your boss to see if there’s anything else to be done before heading home.
- Maintain good communication. Keep the communication lines open with all parties involved in your work. Ask questions in order to understand expectations – and then perform to the best of your ability.
- Be a learner. Show your employer that you’re eager to learn and grow in your work. Even if a task is only peripherally related to your job, take the time to master it.
Demonstrate Your Value
Whether it’s through established metrics such as sales goals or via forging strategic relationships, build evidence that shows you’re an irreplaceable asset.
- Leverage your fresh perspective. You’ve probably worked elsewhere and picked up some tips related to your current job. If you see ways to improve processes or systems, list them and share them with your boss. This shows initiative and that there is useful, important work to be done that could justify hiring you full time.
- Help those around you to achieve their goals. This is just as important as realizing your own.
Fit into the Culture
When you think and feel like you’re part of a company, it changes everything. So, do more than just show up. Take a genuine interest in your job and how it contributes to the bigger picture in terms of business success.
- Get to know your employer. Research the organization so you understand its history, products, earnings, mission and goals.
- Network and build relationships. Reach out and meet people, starting on Day One. Be visible, shake hands and introduce yourself. Your colleagues have the greatest potential to spread the word about your value to the company. This also is a great way to get to know the leaders and decision makers responsible for permanent hiring.
- Observe your surroundings and pay attention to how you dress, look and act. Blend in. As ironic as it sounds, adapting to culture provides excellent visibility for you and is the perfect opportunity to showcase your skills.
If you’re seeking temporary work with the end goal of transitioning into a permanent career opportunity, contact the specialized staffing experts at PrideStaff Modesto today.