Will 2017 be the year you move up the career ladder and land your next great job? How can you ensure that you get on the right rung to success?
Never Stop Networking
Face-to-face networking remains one of the most successful job search techniques. The best opportunities are part of the “hidden job market” that you can access only via effective networking.
- Attend events, join professional organizations – and get involved. Find and take advantage of every chance to meet people in businesses and fields that interest you. Volunteer for committees and boards, contribute articles and make presentations. Check out the list of contacts you have built. Continue to cultivate it and then see if anyone may be able to help you reach your career goals.
Maximize Your Social Media Presence
Your LinkedIn profile must be up to date and impactful – and your overall social media presence needs to be professional, compelling and clear of any red flags that may pose barriers to your career growth.
- Use LinkedIn to both job search and build your network. Join and participate in relevant groups. Establish a growing web of connections with whom you can easily follow up. Ask around and put the word out that you are in the market for a new job.
- Purge your platforms. Now is the time to assess all your social media sites – and those of your friends, who may mention, tag or post information about you. Never doubt for a minute that prospective employers will Google you and find whatever out there is associated with your name. Be sure that any content that may be even remotely misinterpreted is cleaned up or removed.
- Join or start a job search group. Utilizing the talents and resources of a group of people is a proven technique for solving problems and making progress. Find online groups that can help with your specific needs. Benefit from brainstorming, support and feedback.
A positive attitude, a high level of motivation, and the ability to create an effective marketing plan are all part of the formula to successful career growth in the New Year.
- Keep your chin up. Own your search, and remember that you are not alone in your situation. Take the necessary steps to present yourself to hiring managers in the best possible light.
- It takes self discipline. Set aside some time every day to send out resumes, set up informational interviews, and take other steps to find a new position. Job seeking is a skill that needs to be practiced on a regular basis, just like golf or playing the piano.
- Create a personal marketing plan. Make a list of target organizations and industries that you want to work for. Then, you can channel your efforts into a focused search. Research what a company does and the specific expectations of a position. This will be a tremendous help when you land an interview.
- Evaluate your skills and qualifications. Assessing your own abilities and how you apply them to your chosen field will help you to identify your strengths – as well as areas in need of improvement. Be honest with yourself as you conduct this evaluation – even though it may be difficult. Ask a trusted friend or career counselor to provide an objective opinion.
The PrideStaff Modesto team can help as you look to a great new career opportunity in 2017. We have a long and successful track record of matching the best candidates with the right jobs. Read our related posts or contact us today to learn more.