No one cares as much about your career as you do. So if you plan to continue to learn and advance, you need to get in the driver’s seat. Take charge of your professional future and set yourself on that yellow brick road to long-term success and happiness.
Network to Greatness
Don’t wait till you’re ready and eager for a new job. Start networking today, if you haven’t already. Whether you stay at your current company or decide to make a change, your networking investment will pay off. But, what you give is what you get.
- Select three to five influential people. Take the initiative to introduce yourself to them. Ask if they can spare 20 minutes for coffee or a drink. At that time, ask their permission to reach out to them for conversation, guidance or future career advice. Make it a habit to stay in touch.
- While networking, talk about your successes. Share your career victories and aspirations. Ask for advice about how to accurately measure success.
Build Your Brand
Share your passions with people, including those in areas outside your immediate role. Offer ideas and suggestions, and become a thought leader. Mentor others.
- Jump into your thought leader role with both feet. Write down the skills, traits and strengths that best define you. Then write a personal vision that includes the brand characteristics that most appeal to you
Be a Lifelong Learner
You’re responsible for your own growth. In doing so, stay current with industry developments and technology, Avoid becoming obsolete.
- Constantly master new capabilities and gain different experiences. For instance, remain open to a lateral move in order to broaden your base.
- Carve out time to grown. Devote a minimum of 10 percent of your time to career growth. No excuses accepted!
- Stay relevant. Taking responsibility for your own personal growth provides a sense of control over your career and your future.
The professional career coaches and recruiters at PrideStaff Modesto can partner with you to develop and realize your successful strategy for short and long-term career growth. Read our related posts or contact us today to learn more.