The holiday season is here, which can be a natural formula for reduced productivity and distraction. Or, it can be a time for heightened success and a positive push towards turning at least some of those unmet objectives into reality before the New Year begins. It’s also a prime time to plan ahead for 2015.
Define Your Focus Areas
When it comes to achieving goals, you have to be realistic and at the same time, a bit unreasonable, especially if your timeline is limited. So start by taking a look at all your 2014 initiatives. Which have you completed? Which can you accomplish by year end, if you push just a little beyond your comfort zone? And which should be updated with the goal of achieving them in a timely fashion come 2015?
Your wish list may include:
- Retention for star employees. The job market has opened up again, so employee retention is on your front burner. Focus on keeping your top performers happy and engaged. Appoint them to lead task forces that will help the company reach a business-critical goal. Give them increased responsibilities, mentor them and guide them towards success. Finally, reward them and their teams accordingly – perhaps with extra recognition during your holiday luncheon or party.
- Hiring goals: Are there any short-term staffing gaps caused by the holidays or seasonal absenteeism? Will you be growing any departments in 2015? Stay in touch with your staffing firm so both immediate and long-range needs will be met.
- Safety, health and wellness: Healthcare costs will continue to be a significant concern in 2015. And the holiday season can be particularly challenging as employees are distracted and overtaxed with personal demands. Implement a safety initiative, such as more ergonomically-friendly workspaces or the removal of potential hazards from your break rooms. Launch wellness programs to get everyone started on healthy eating, exercise and smoking cessation as part of their New Year’s resolutions.
Stretch Those SMART Goals
You’ve probably heard of the SMART formula for setting business goals that are:
- Time specific
During the waning weeks of 2014, shake your goals up a bit. Don’t just make lists and hold planning meetings; take action. While keeping things SMART, also use this formula:
- Imagine: Look back at the year and list the objectives you wish you’d completed. Then, imagine them done. Can you make it happen?
- Think: Brainstorm, draw mind maps, and take your ideas out of the abstract and into the concrete.
- Capitalize on opportunities: Be alert for every opportunity to secure the necessary resources and buy-in to achieve a goal. This comes naturally if you keep your eyes on the prize … you’ll quickly start to hear of stepping stones and tools connected to your goal.
- Commit: If you decide you can complete a task, go all in. Look for every possibility to bring it to fruition.
- Take action: Put one foot in front of the other and go! Ask for assistance, network with like-minded people and create an environment in which your goal can be reached.
The workforce experts at PrideStaff Modesto can partner with you to successfully tie up loose ends for 2014 and be ready to take your business to even greater heights in 2015. Contact us today to learn more.